I Am Here: Teen Self-Portraits August 10 – September 2, 2022
The Mt. Airy Art Garage (MAAG) celebrates the vision of young artists as they explore ways to depict how they see themselves. MAAG is having an open call to Philadelphia teen artists to submit their portraits for the exhibition, I Am Here: Teen Self-Portraits, happening August 10 – September 2, 2022, in the Solomon Levy Gallery at the Mt. Airy Art Garage, 7054 Germantown Avenue, Philadelphia, PA 19119.
What do you see when you look in the mirror?
How would you portray the mirror’s reflection? By delving into self-expression, teen artists offer a snapshot of a moment in life; various themes may apply in self-portraits:
- It can be what you look like, your physical appearance.
- It can be an image that portrays how you feel inside about yourself.
- It may show the world what you think your future self will be.
A self-portrait: how would yours look? How are current events in the world affecting your life – the pandemic, social isolation, global warming, gun violence and lawlessness in the streets, the Black Lives Matter movement, LGBTQ rights, right wing politics changing women’s rights to choose, the war in Ukraine, etc.? Are these issues affecting your fears for the future or empowering you to take on responsibilities for a better world?
MAAG is offering a platform to see how teens 13-19 years of age express who they are, how they see the world today, what they envision for their futures and so much more.
- Teen artists ages 13 – 19 may submit up to two (2) pieces of art.
- No selfies! Each portrait is expected to be well-thought out and creative.
- All artworks must be original and made by the teen being portrayed.
- Artwork will be judged by the MAAG Curating Committee.
- Many art forms will be accepted, including (but not limited to) drawing, painting, collage, photography, sculpture, textile, ceramic, or mixed media.
- Each piece of art is to be no larger than 4′ X 4′.
- All art must be for sale in this upcoming exhibition.
- All work must be framed and ready to hang.
- If you are submitting a sculpture, you may need to provide your own pedestal.
- If you have questions or need advice on how to properly present your artwork, contact MAAG at 267-323-2312
To apply, send to email@example.com the following:
- MAAG’s Exhibition Entry Form
- $10 fee per artwork entered (NOTE: To pay online via PayPal, go to www.mtairyartgarage.org and on the menu bar under “Join/Donate” select DONATE. In the PayPal window, write that it is for the exhibition fee.)
- Up to two JPG images (300 dpi) of your work. (Be advised that submitted images may be used by MAAG for advertising and marketing if the work is accepted.)
- Artist Statement/Bio describing the work submitted and a paragraph about the artist. In the email subject line, write: “Teen Self-Portraits Submission – [Artist’s Name].” You may also apply by sending all items via snail mail.
- Application Deadline: Monday, July 18, 11:59 PM(Notification of Acceptance: Saturday, July 23)
- Artwork Delivery: Friday-Sunday, July 29 – 31 at MAAG, 7054 Germantown Ave.
- Artwork Pick-Up: Saturday-Sunday, September 3 – 4 at MAAG, 7054 Germantown Ave.MAAG assumes no liability for any damage that may occur during the exhibition and is not responsible for any artwork left past the pickup date.
CLICK HERE FOR APPLICATION